The Leon Mercer Jordan Campus provides modern facilities for police officers and gives police more tools to investigate crime. The new KCPD campus is in a centralized location in the Third District in Kansas City, Missouri’s urban core and serves as a redevelopment catalyst for Prospect Avenue and surrounding neighborhoods. KCMO established its commitment to leverage the project early on, to the greatest extent possible, to spark training, job, and contract opportunities for:
- Certified Section 3 (low- or very-low income) Residents & Businesses
- Certified Minority Business Enterprises
- Certified Women Business Enterprises
KCMO worked through the City’s Human Relations Department to ensure large, majority Prime Contractors and second-tier subcontractors understood and implemented Section 3, MBE, and WBE’s goals, requirements, and regulations to ensure maximum participation during the project’s design and construction phases:
- DESIGN: Led by Helix Architecture + Design in association with Wellner Architects for building programming; master planning for property development; and schematic design of the buildings and site. Design minority business participation goals were MBE: 15% and WBE: 10%.
- SITE PREPARATION and PRECONSTRUCTION: Led by the City for mowing and site maintenance; property board-up; environmental inspections; special inspections and materials testing; underground work; tank removal; compliance and photo documentation; compliance and workforce coordination for HUD Section 3; as well as property abatement and demolition / deconstruction and deconstruction training.
- GENERAL CONSTRUCTION: Led by JE Dunn / Alexander Mechanical, A Joint Venture, for site work / preparation and construction. Construction minority business participation goals were MBE: 17% and WBE: 11%. The project’s construction workforce goals were Minority: 10% and Women: 2%. The project’s construction workforce actuals are indicated in the pie charts below.
This project committed to 10% Section 3 business participation goals, and KCMO committed to Section 3 workforce goals of 30% on all new hires for the design and construction phases of campus creation. To date, KCMO has recorded 89 Section 3 new hires working on the new campus. Please see this brief presentation to learn more.